Thursday 3 January 2013

The mass market





What you see in the image above is the graph of the theory of diffusion of innovation. Each one us would fall into each of those categories at various points. For now, I'll restrict it to some thing we all now... the smart phones for example.

I was probably in the early majority (34%) when I bought the Samsung galaxy S3 and went back again to the early majority when I realized that I really needed an Iphone!! Anyway, this graph is more or less relevant to all businesses. The tipping point is the point when a technology, a product or an idea moves from a small market to a mass market (34%+34% market share).

Smart apps is one market where I've seen this mass market adoption battle lately. I have been downloading new apps for my phone and there are tons of them in the market. There is at least one free app for everything that I need. I have so many apps on my phone now that I need an app to manage all my apps and remind me to use those apps!!

Anyway, I some how don't feel very good about the smart apps market. The competition is very high and I some times wonder if the return on investment is any good at all. I read a comment some where from a developer who was comparing app prices with coffee prices. People are not willing to even pay the price of a take away coffee for an app!! Phew, tough market. Probably worth it if you want an additional small source of income, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment