Tuesday 10 December 2013

So what motivates people?

Really, there is no one answer! Drucker says it is a futile exercise to find one right thing that suits all. I obviously have had my share or should I say my attempts at motivating people. It is more on the lines of mindful influencing by tapping into the realms of motivation.

Anyway, I found a very interesting one today. It is... Beliefs about what makes us effective that decides our motivation. If we pick a task and we think it will not make us "effective" - in terms of money, position, power etc whichever is important to that person, then he/she will not be motivated to do that task. I think this  is called the utility value of task or something on those lines.

Eons ago I had read something about Maslow's hierarchy of needs theory. I did not realize how important and how meaningful it was back then. Maslow himself did not believe that the theory was complete enough to be adopted. I like it though and it is something I sometimes rely upon as well. You can read more here...
http://www.businessballs.com/maslow.htm

-Sandeep kowshik

P.S - Now, try asking developers to do some testing!

1 comment:

  1. or, worse yet, try asking developers to add some documentation! :)

    ReplyDelete