Wednesday 24 September 2014

The conveyor belt

I am a big fan of Lean, Toyota Production system & Theory-of-Constraints. It's a shame that I haven't written much about these things here! The Toyota Way by Jeffrey Liker and The Goal by Eli Goldratt are probably the best books I've read on Lean. These are life changing books. Certainly for me, it has changed the way I looked at a lot of things in life. For instance, day to day things like McDonald's drive through, queuing system in subway, visual guides in hospitals, pizza delivery, supermarket shelves, overflow hole in hand wash basin (poke yoke) are some simple day-to-day examples you see in daily life. Principles of Lean can also be used on the software floor. Agile for instance has its roots in Lean software development developed by Mary Popendieck .& Tom Popendieck.

I can go on and on about Lean, ToC and Agile because I have spent considerable time thinking, doing and implementing these principles. I have even attempted to bring it back home and use it in my house! For today, I wanted to share the video that started it all for me. I don't know about the origin of the video or the context in which it was shot. But this hilarious video can be used to explain just-in-time, constraints, kanban, conflict & even management styles!  Hope you enjoy it too.







No comments:

Post a Comment