Thursday 27 February 2014

Writer's block

There is a concept called writer's block. The concept basically says that when you start writing (Typing rather!), your brain goes into auto-correct mode i.e, you start a sentence, go back and correct the sentence and re-frame it till your convinced that it sounds ok. I have seen quite a few people struggle with it, especially when they are writing emails to people.

When I started my mba in 2012, the first thing we were thought was to get around the writer's block. So, instead of fixing each and every word/line, just write down your thoughts and go back and correct it later. That way you build the big picture first and then go back to correct the details. I quite liked the idea.

In late 2012, when I first started writing, I used to take about 3-4 hours to write 300 odd words. I was extremely slow. A couple of days ago, I wrote 1500 words in about four hours! I was happy. The words flowed fairly easily and the quality was pretty much to my expected standards. Of course, it depends on the subject you are writing and there is always scope for improvement, but feels like I am slowly winning the game over my writer's block :)

1 comment:

  1. 'perfect practice is the key to perfection' :) Moreover, on this topic let me throw in another perspective - while using WYSIWYG editors, people also tend to focus on the layout - which slows them down. So, don't use WYSIWYG editors like MS Word, use LaTeX/vim/emacs ;-)

    ReplyDelete