Friday 24 January 2014

Word cloud

I first saw a word cloud a few years ago and I thought it was a really smart idea. A word cloud takes a bunch of words and highlights the most frequently used words in different sizes.

It's a great technique and I've seen people use it in different forms in different situations. I've been fortunate enough to be part of several projects that have addressed things like work process improvement, communication improvement, morale improvement etc etc. And typically in such projects you collect tons of data and analyze it to death and come up with your suggestions.

But there was one guy who did something different and he came up with this word cloud. I was impressed. It basically summarized all the data we had in front of us and gave us a good feeling of the most prominent mood in the office.

I would say it's a nice and easy tool if you want to look at a lot of data in a short time. It obviously will not give you the results of a deep dive, but it's a quick and dirty summary if you are short of time.

You can build word clouds in http://tagcrowd.com/ or http://www.wordle.net/. The one you see below comes from tagcrowd and is a list of words I've used in my blogs so far. Glad to see words like leadership, knowledge, books, agile etc. Also looks like I use the word "lot", a lot of times. Interesting!


========================================================================

1 comment:

  1. Nice one sandy.. It's a good way to retrieve info in quick time from load of data..

    ReplyDelete